I don't watch anything MTV anymore. It's turned completely into a reality black hole so what's the point. To think, in its heyday, it really did offer us the best and latest in the music world. It was so connected with the youth, alternative culture and the truth, and the only US channel I tuned in for the news reports. All this said, I'm still down with their annual Music Video Awards. Last night's show was one of the better ones.
What FIVE things were right about the show even when they were soooo wrong.
1. Chelsea Lately as host, with her unapologetic self demanding that no one behaves that night.
2. The immensely funny show of the usual white teeny boppers who basically got to where they are sounding like a black person but looking lily suburb. Case in point, the Bieb wearing seriously saggin' pants while singing to sexually confused prepubescents.
3. The complete mallcification of vocalists from GaGa to Kei$ha and waiting for Kanye to go apeshit on them all.
4. Some good performances like the played out Usher and still good for a whiteboy, Eminem (featuring Rihanna).
5. The songs duel between feuding rivals Kanye and Swift from last years VMAs incident.
On point 5, Swift was amazingly patronizing for a little no-talent shit at this years VMA. In her song,"Innocent," obviously addressing Kanye, she sang:
It's all right, just wait and see
Your streaming lights are bright to me oh
Who you are is not where you've been
You're still an innocent
It's OK, life is a tough crowd
32 and still growing up now
Who you are is not what you did
You're still an innocent
Lost your balance on a tightrope
It's never too late to get it back
Whatever! I don't buy Taylor's "innocent" routine and don't feel the slightest sorry for her manufactured, cookie cutter, white girl, pop act.
So, Even though Kanye recently went on a Twitter rampage asking for Taylor's forgiveness, I am glad he didn't cow tow at the VMAs. I mean, what is Kanye without the shear will to be truthful. In his finale VMA performance, "Runaway," he performed:
Yeah, I always find somethin' wrong
You been puttin' up with my shit just way too long
I'm so gifted at findin' what I don't like the most
So I think it's time for us to have a toast
Let's have a toast for the douchebags,
Let's have a toast for the assholes,
Let's have a toast for the scumbags,
Every one of them that I know
Let's have a toast to the jerkoffs
That'll never take work off
Baby, I got a plan
Run away fast as you can
These lyrics tell me that not only if Kanye gifted at telling us what he doesn't like, he's also gifted at telling it like it is. And, oh, man, how cool were the modern ballet dancers juxtaposed with Kanye's rap? So, while the VMAs showcase these plastic, manufactured, mall drones, at least there's Kanye to say, it's just sooooo wrong.