Thursday, December 11, 2008

Nothing in Life is Free, Except for NPR (statement about our failing economy)

I suffered through the rising food costs, crazy ass gas prices, and now I must endure the sizing down of my beloved NPR. National Public Radio announced they have a $23 million shortfall due to a decline in corporate underwriting. So, in reaction, they are cutting 85 jobs (7%) from their staff of 889. Additionally, they will cancel their two shows, "Day to Day" and "News & Notes" in March 2009.

Gosh, I'm such a hardcore NPR listener that I actually paid money to see the late Robert Altman's final movie about NPR's "A Prairie Home Companion." I was the only non senior citizen in the theater. Point being, I'm sad to know I'll be hungry, immobile and now ill-informed.

To be honest, I think in the decades that I listened to NPR, I gave only $20. Shameful admission for sure. It seemed like I was never in a good position to give but that's just bullshit excuses. The truth is, being a cheap bastard, I loved the idea of getting quality radio programming for FREE. Well, I was wrong to think this and will be sending my grocery money to NPR today. It's the right thing to do.

http://breakthruradio.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/0623-npr-cvr.jpg

No comments: