Tuesday, June 24, 2008

California is on Fire


My girl from Beantown is coming to see me this week. She's a wino so of course she asks me to pick her up at the airport and drive straight to Napa. Sleep is of little importance, she needs the happy juice. So, I think I'm cool. I say, "Napa is for amateurs, we need to go to my secret place where all the good wine flows". Then I hear that the Valley has fires, serious fires.

Like a good nerd, I go to fire.ca.gov then google earth for a map. The image above was what I saw. I'm thinking, wtf? Is California on fire? My Boston girl then calls to add, "California is on fire!"

People, for anyone outside of certain areas in the Valley where most of the fires have been contained, California is not on fire. Also for future reference, California is not going to sink to the bottom of the ocean during our next 5 point earthquake either. Oh, and keep in mind we call a State of Emergency when we get more than two inches of rain. This has been a public service announcement.

Update: Since this post, more fires broke out and we have a natural disaster on our hands. Though I'm still unaffected in the Bay Area, many parts of the state have had homes burnt down and the evacuation of residents. Keep safe.

1 comment:

Eshta said...

8000 lightning strikes and no precipitation makes for a smoldering ca skies.